Monday 26 September 2016

A week in Cornwall...

On the 19th June I hopped on a train from Somerset to Cornwall to spend a weeks holiday with my boyfriend and his family. I had very briefly visited Cornwall once before a few years ago, but had never had a proper opportunity to explore this area of England and I was excited to see what it had to offer. 

 To sum up my Cornwall experience in a nutshell; freezing ocean, beautiful sunsets, podgy seagulls and the best fish and chips EVER.

The house we stayed in was near St. Merryn and Padstow and about a minutes walk away from the serene, yet freezing, Cornish sea. 

  The view from the house:

As someone who is terrified of all things freezing and has never dared venture into the English sea before, the thought of plunging myself into the Cornish ocean was slightly daunting. With a great deal of persuasion from my boyfriend, Josh, I set forth (at snails pace) into the sea. 

This picture pretty much sums up my experience in the cornish sea. Me trying not to get freezing sea water down my back whilst clinging onto Josh for dear life. To be fair, the sea was highly invigorating, refreshing and a lot of fun... I'm just a cold water wimp. 

Next, the sunsets. On the Monday night a vibrant pink light lit up the lounge, the sky looked like it was on fire, painted all shades of pink, orange and yellow. 
My two favourite sunsets.  This sunset was the first of several beautiful ones. In my opinion beach sunsets are one of the prettiest sights ever.  

One of the highlights of my trip was without a doubt Sammy the Seagull, with his spindly little legs and huge bulging neck. Sammy stood on the balcony pretty much 24/7, demanding food and eating anything that was thrown at him. From Rick Stein's pasties to ciabatta bread, that seagull lived the high life for the week.... and gradually got fatter and fatter as the week went on. 
Sammy standing in all his glory in the evening sunlight, most probably hoping for us to throw him some tiger bread. 

Mid week me and Josh decided to go off and do some crabbing at Constantine Bay. I have never been crabbing before so was curious to try it. We clambered over lots of rocks covered in mussels, and if you listened really carefully you could hear them breathing which I though was quite cute.

It was a fun but not very successful crabbing experience, we saw one crab and caught one small tiger fish and that was about it. Needless to say it was fun seeing all the baby mussels and clams and the deep blue pools within the rocks.

My favourite day was without a doubt was the Thursday. We had a trip to Bedruthan steps and the beach was STUNNING. It felt like being in somewhere like Thailand or Vietnam with the massive rocks coming out of the water.




After strolling down the beach, falling down sandy sea ditches and exploring creepy caves, we headed to Wadebridge, where I encountered the best fish and chips I had ever had.*

*DISCLAIMER: when I say 'fish and chips' I should really be saying 'chicken nuggets and chips'... but still, they were really really good. 


 So, that is a little snippet and some of the highlights from my week in Cornwall. I miss waking up by the seaside and can't wait to go back! Definitely one of my fave places in England. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for commenting! It's very much appreciated!
xx